Part 2 - the cottage wash house

Today's first picture shows the hood over the oven under construction.
I built a box inside the chimney, creating a recess. I'm now working on the chimney hood. I cut a piece of styrofoam and glued it to the the wood section.I need to reshape it a bit because it sticks out slightly. At this point I'm not sure if I want to leave the styrofoam straight up and down pretty much as is, or shape it to curve a bit. I'll have to think about it.

If you've never worked with styrofoam, here's a couple of tips.
The best way to cut styrofoam is with an electric hot knife or hot wire cutter. When I first learned about hot knives I looked online for them, but they were expensive. Later I found out you could find hot wire cutters in the floral section of many crafts stores. I can't recall what mine cost, but it wasn't very expensive.
This is what mine looks like.
I plug it in, switch it on and within seconds it's hot and goes through styrofoam like a hot knife through butter.

The other thing I started working on was the stone sink.
I cut the pieces out of bass wood and glued them together. I always worry about things coming unglued, so I decided to wrap the outside of sink with Rigid Wrap, which is a gauze, coated in plaster.
You just wet the Rigid Wrap, then place it how you want it and let dry. I first used it when building the Nuthouse. Later I used it to make a curved section on the Gnome's Cottage hearth, and on the second Gnome's Cottage too. The picture below shows it after I covered it with drywall compound. I wanted a slight curve in the corner of the wall.
here's a picture of the Rigid Wrap by itself.
And here's the sink as it looks right now. I just coated it with a little drywall compound a.k.a. plaster, spackle, etc. Later I'll coat the inside and do whatever touchups are needed before painting.

Continued here.....

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Your cottage wash house is coming along so fabulously! Many thanks for all the useful tips too! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its neat seeing the process and can't wait to see it all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. where do you buy Rigid Wrap? Does appear they have a source in my area.
    thanks,
    LouAnne in CA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Que buen trabaja ¡Seguro quedara muy bonito!!
    Gracias por la idea de la venda enyesada ( =
    Saludos
    Flor

    ReplyDelete