Part 2 - the cottage wash house

Today's first picture shows the hood over the oven under construction.
I built a box inside the chimney, creating a recess. I'm now working on the chimney hood. I cut a piece of styrofoam and glued it to the the wood section.I need to reshape it a bit because it sticks out slightly. At this point I'm not sure if I want to leave the styrofoam straight up and down pretty much as is, or shape it to curve a bit. I'll have to think about it.

If you've never worked with styrofoam, here's a couple of tips.
The best way to cut styrofoam is with an electric hot knife or hot wire cutter. When I first learned about hot knives I looked online for them, but they were expensive. Later I found out you could find hot wire cutters in the floral section of many crafts stores. I can't recall what mine cost, but it wasn't very expensive.
This is what mine looks like.
I plug it in, switch it on and within seconds it's hot and goes through styrofoam like a hot knife through butter.

The other thing I started working on was the stone sink.
I cut the pieces out of bass wood and glued them together. I always worry about things coming unglued, so I decided to wrap the outside of sink with Rigid Wrap, which is a gauze, coated in plaster.
You just wet the Rigid Wrap, then place it how you want it and let dry. I first used it when building the Nuthouse. Later I used it to make a curved section on the Gnome's Cottage hearth, and on the second Gnome's Cottage too. The picture below shows it after I covered it with drywall compound. I wanted a slight curve in the corner of the wall.
here's a picture of the Rigid Wrap by itself.
And here's the sink as it looks right now. I just coated it with a little drywall compound a.k.a. plaster, spackle, etc. Later I'll coat the inside and do whatever touchups are needed before painting.

Continued here.....

19th century cottage wash house

I decided to work on room boxes for a while, mainly because they take up less room, and don't take as long to finish as a dollhouse.
Recently I ordered an unfinished roombox, and when it arrived last week I saw it was the perfect size for the Victorian cottage wash house I had been thinking about. I had found a picture of it in a book, and it really appealed to me.
It took a few days to figure out the proportions of everything, and I started working on it a few days ago.
Here's what it looks like right now.
Starting on the left is a chimney, with a bake oven inside. This particular wash house was also used as a bake house. The funny looking thing on the chimney wall that looks like an upside down steps is part of a "brick" bracketing for an oven hood. While gluing the pieces of the second section together, the clamp on the first section suddenly went sproing..... and shot into the air, taking the little wooden bits with it. I found one tiny block of wood, couldn't find the rest. I shall have to start over.

The next bit of structure is going to be a copper for boiling clothes. Although coppers are associated with Britain, Americans also had them, only they were called set kettles. Large metal pots, often of copper, sometimes zinc, were set into brick. A fire would burn below, heating the bricks. Coppers and set kettles were used to boil water for cooking or washing. They could also be used for simmering large amounts of soup or stew.
You can see an opening at the bottom, which was for sweeping out ashes. Fuel for the fire went in through a little door above the ash opening.

The next bit is going to be a large stone sink. Right now it's represented by a block of wood sitting on two other blocks of wood. I think I may put a draining board in the corner.

I wanted a window on the back wall, but didn't want my window framing to stick out, so I cut out a new back wall with an opening for the window. I think I'll paint a bit of sky or branches or something in the space before I install the window. I did this before in the Kitschy Kitchen.
Meanwhile, I've been gluing pieces to the back wall only. This way I can pull everything out which makes it easier to work on the structure. I think it will be very handy when I get started on the finishes I'm putting on.

Continued here.....